Blog Tip of the Day

How to add a simple watermark to your images, and why it's important to do so

how to add a watermark to your images

The above is a picture I took of some ingredients a long time ago. It’s the kind of photo that I’d pair with a how-to — a recipe. Been on Pinterest lately? These are the types of things that get pinned. And once they get pinned, they get Tumbled. And as we all know…once something is Tumbled, it’s pretty easy to lose an original source.

Today, I wanted to share how to add a watermark to your images. If you’re sharing original content on your blog (i.e., photos you took yourself), it’s important that you “watermark” your images so that people can source the image and credit you. And as a bonus, it’ll drive traffic back to your site! It’s easy to watermark an image, especially if you already have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Here’s the same image, watermarked:

how to add watermarks to your images

With a font that’s utilized across my blog (for brand consistency), I simply typed my URL and placed it in the bottom right corner. I did this in plain white and changed the opacity to 65%. It’s unobtrusive, but if you look at the photo, it’s not invisible. You could do this with any font, color, size, or opacity you want. I’ve also seen people write not just their URL, but the name of the post the photo was in, so that someone could easily search your blog and find it.

You can do this with any type of original content — collages, even! Think about the kind of content you’re putting up and whether it’s likely to be shared. Recipes don’t just fall into this category. Round ups, how-tos, and DIYs of all kinds are especially susceptible! Want to know what’s being pinned from your blog? You can go to http://pinterest.com/source/yourblogname.com to find out.

Watermarking images is an easy way to protect yourself and your work, while also raising visibility for what you’re doing around the Internet. Give it a shot! While the above is the easiest, simplest way to watermark your image, I’ve also written a more in-depth tutorial on how to watermark your images using text effects and graphics over on The B Bar.

Get more downloadable blog resources at The B Bar >>

1. 2.28.12
    Becca said:

Thanks for the tip!

2. 2.28.12

This is so smart. I’m going to start doing this. So many watermarks scream at you and usually turn me off. But I really like how you did it, smart and classy. Thanks for educating, I hadn’t thought about it that way!

3. 2.28.12
    Neda said:

Wonderful tip…and I need to incorporate it asap! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

4. 2.28.12

Awww thanks for the tip! You’re absolutely right! I didn’t even think I needed to watermark my images until now, but you’ve convinced me. Starting right away! I like that it’s tiny and in the corner.

5. 2.28.12

Thank you for sharing! I used to do this to my images and for some reason stopped (lazy I guess!) but I really need to start doing it again. Thanks for the reminder!

6. 2.28.12

Any tips for those of us who don’t have photoshop? :)

• 2.28.12
      vmacandcheese said:

I found this! http://www.watermarktool.com/

Less customizable in terms of fonts, but you can make it as obtrusive or as unobtrusive as you want.

7. 2.28.12
    brighton said:

wow, i realy need to start doing this!! thank you so much!!!

xoxo,
    Brighton

8. 2.28.12
    Joanne said:

That’s a grogeous shot! I’d like to paint it…

9. 2.28.12

I have been constantly frustrated with trying to find photo sources myself lately, but this is such a great idea. It’s one of those ‘how did that not occur to me?’ things, and huge thanks for pointing it out! Love your blog tips (and still love your mini alt week!)

10. 2.28.12

I really need to get on this. I have no excuse not to.

11. 2.28.12
    Jessica said:

This is super helpful… keep ’em coming! I’m new to Pinterest as of yesterday. :) Slightly addicted.

12. 2.28.12
    Kate said:

SUCH a good tip, someone mentioned this to me when I just started but i never bothered since I figured no one would really read my blog :) But my collages and recipes do get re-pinned a lot on pinterest and I don’t know where they go from there…do you think I should go back and do this to all my images??

<3 Kate

13. 2.28.12

Such a great tip! I need to do this going forward.

14. 2.28.12
    Jess said:

Yeah, this is a good idea since I realized a lot of my collages/posts are being retumbled. That almost worries me more than Pinterest! (I guess I feel a little flattered that people want to share things too, haha—I’ve only been consistently blogging for a few weeks now.) I’m not a huge fan of watermarks (especially those big ones that take up the entire image) but I do think a well-placed watermark has its time and place nowadays. Thanks for the reminder, and I will definitely be doing this moving forward!

15. 2.28.12
    Bettina said:

Thanks for the tip! I am really new to photoshop elements so I wasn’t sure how to get the type a bit more transparent, but now I know b/c of this post, it’s the opacity! Thanks Victoria!

16. 2.28.12
    Gabrielle | Savvy Home said:

Great tip! I think the subtlety and brand consistency is key also. Too many watermarks are too big and ugly! Yours is very well done :)

17. 2.29.12
    Mere said:

ohh. I love this tip! and I totally need to start doing this. Thanks so much!

18. 2.29.12
    Lotts said:

Such a good tip, my mum was warning me of the perils of pinning my DIY’s only the other day, I am going to start doing this asap. Thank you x

19. 2.29.12

Good tip. I’m always hesitant because I don’t want it to look ugly, but the way you did it is very sleek + professional.

20. 2.29.12
    Laura said:

Great tip! Now I just need to un-break my cam :)

21. 2.29.12

Great tip! You are just the BEST about sharing your advice!