The Word

Welp, it’s been exactly one week since I started working from home full time. So far, so good! I will say that the differences between working in a cube versus in my own home office all day everyday are almost jarring in a way. Of course that seems like it would be obvious, but you never realize these things until you’re in it. I’m still getting used to the dramatic change in routine, but I’m happy!

Several of you guys have been so sweet to email me or chat me to see how things are going. Thank you! Here are a few things I’ve observed:

+ My upstairs neighbor, who also works from home, seems to get a lot of phone calls during the day. Note to self: figure out how he drums up business.
+ My downstairs neighbor works from home too. Plan: weekly lunches with my fellow building co-workers!
+ As much as I love my ghost chair, it’s extremely uncomfortable to sit in for 12 hours a day. New mission: find a chic, comfortable, affordable, ergonomic desk chair. Twitter suggested this one, but I had one like this at my old job, and I found it extremely uncomfortable. I think it’s the petite stature. Also, I’m not spending a thousand freaking dollars on a desk chair.
+ I need to take time to get up and MOVE. In an office, I was up and about more than I realized. Here, I have a tendency to park it in my chair and not move for hours on end. Hello, stiff shoulders. The good news is I can stretch it out anytime I want. Doing lunges next to your cube was generally frowned upon. And by frowned upon I mean awkward for everyone.
+ In the same vein, I gotta drink more water. I don’t have co-workers to go hang out and make tea with in the staff kitchen.
+ One of the small joys: being able to play music as loud as I want and light a candle while I work. Both were previously verboten.
+ If you do laundry in the middle of the day, you never have to compete for the building’s washer or dryer. It’s fantastic.
+ It’s an exhilarating feeling to be able to tackle projects I’ve been putting off for months, simply because there was no time to do them.
+ I love working with clients!
+ I think this is going to be good. Really good.

Happy almost Friday, everyone!

{Image Credit: Makeunder My Life}

1. 2.16.12
    Alexa said:

Victoria…I work from home too. Well, I’m working at a little cafe down the street now. I had to start working out of the home for the social atmosphere. (Also to have some space away from my baby, while the sitter is there). At first I had trouble adjusting…but now I love it. I get a lot done at the cafe and also work during Mila’s naps at home. It is in a way, freeing. :)

2. 2.16.12
    Lara Matos said:

so happy everything is going smoothly so far!

3. 2.16.12

New-ish to your blog but congrats on the big leap! Sounds like you’re adjusting well. I’m in a cubicle world and am now totally jealous about you being able to light a candle while you work. *sigh*

4. 2.16.12

Glad to hear everything is going well! I just transitioned to working from home as well and it’s definitely a huge change! I can totally relate to the whole needing to move more thing…sometimes, I”ll sit down and won’t get up for hours…I swear my butt is going to conform to the shape of my desk chair! But I think I just need to get into a better routine of taking short breaks to stretch out and move! Xoxo

5. 2.16.12
    Neda said:

I love the quote. It sounds like you are adjusting very well. I’ve heard the first couple of months can be hard. The best advice I’ve heard is that you need to create a change between you being at “home” and at “work”– so definitely change of clothes like you are doing and doing whatever you can to create a productive work environment. :)

6. 2.16.12

Your optimism and excitement is so infectious! So happy for you!

7. 2.16.12
    Jess LC said:

Congrats on your new phase in work-life! You will get the hang of it for yourself. Now that you are on your own with your projects full-time, take some time to reflect on your intentions for your balance with your real life too. I am all for blending both when possible, but if email checking or something similar is a tie to working 24/7 like it was for me, please draw a line for yourself! You will find you are more inspired, more excited, and more productive in the weekday hours that way.

And thanks for using my quote pic!

• 2.16.12
      vmacandcheese said:

Such good advice. I’m still learning to “shut it off” at the end of the day, and stop checking emails! It’s tough…

8. 2.16.12
    Alex said:

so glad to hear that it’s going well! keep updating us on how it’s going :)

9. 2.16.12
    viv said:

One of my favorite things would definitely be doing laundry during the day!

10. 2.16.12

Do you mind tackling some of my projects, too? ha! Glad it’s going well so far! ox

11. 2.16.12

there was a time when i was doing some online translation work from home and it was so hard to not get distracted! my advice to you is to make a plan for the day and stick to it. or else you’ll find yourself organizing kitchen cabinets during “office” hours. haha! i’m so psyched for you! i love when people follow their dreams!

12. 2.16.12
    Taylor O said:

so happy it’s been going so well :) daytime laundry, lighting a candle… the simple joys! love it!
    itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

13. 2.16.12
    Kate said:

I work semi-freelance so I totally relate to how exhilarating it is to be able to get up and make yourself an elaborate snack or cuddle with the dogs for a few minutes…I think it’s super Important to get up often and stretch your legs, take a walk even. Before I realized this I would sit for such long periods of time that my back would spasm a little bit…eeek!

<3 Kate

14. 2.16.12

Agreed about that work chair – $1000 is too much plus I don’t find it to be that comfortable either.

Congrats on week #1 of working from home :)

– Sara @ Gameday Stylist

15. 2.16.12
    Natalie said:

Oh, I’m so happy everything is going well and you’re enjoying it! And I’m sure it’s only going to get better from here.

16. 2.16.12

I legit had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading this post — I am so very happy for you!! xo

17. 2.16.12
    sarah said:

i worked from home all of 2011 and now am in an office – and let me tell you – there are days i seriously miss multi-tasking and working from bed, and taking a personal call if i want;) there were so many positive things about that experience – now I life with my bf – so it was lucky that my company got office space cause he works from home too – that would be a little too much;) Love the quote!!

18. 2.16.12
    Jessica said:

So happy for you, Victoria! Keep doin’ what you’re doin’! Congrats :)

19. 2.16.12
    jillian said:

so glad things are going well for you!! xox

20. 2.16.12

Loved this little recap. So happy for you, doll!

21. 2.16.12

I’m mostly working from home too, and I can totally relate, especially to the getting up thing. I park and sometimes hours go by and I just feel gross. It’s hard when you’re trying to get on a roll to remember to get up!

22. 2.16.12
    Ana said:

Congratulations on your launch! So looking forward to reading a post from you in the future (once you are all up and running and things are going well) about how you made the decision, built a client base, etc. Hooray!!

• 2.20.12
      Becca said:

Agreed! I can’t wait to hear more.

I worked from home for a few months before my current company got an office in New York. I had a hard time shutting off ‘work’ mode. We were living in a 400 sq. foot apartment at the time and I just kept working because I could see it all the time haha. Anyways, it sounds like it’s going well for you and I wish you lots of good things this first year! You’re an inspiration!

23. 2.16.12

Reading this is making me sad about not having co-workers all over again. I haven’t had a tea break in years!

No, but working at home can be amazing. I love the flexibility.

How exciting for you! I think this is going to be a very good thing as well.

24. 2.16.12

I’m so happy and excited for you and your new found freedom! Pretty much everything you listed and more are thoughts/ reasons that constantly go through my head. Another thing that working from home means… you’d have time to cuddle with your frenchie!!xo

25. 2.16.12

Congrats on your new venture, Victoria! I love all your observations of working from home! I work at home too and it’s always interesting learning the patterns of neighbors and hearing/seeing things that you’d never be able to while at an office all day. Wishing you all the best in this new chapter of your life!
    Here’s to a lifetime of doing exactly what you love everyday…xo

26. 2.16.12

PS. I say we have a “bloggers who work from home meetup” via Skype one day!

27. 2.16.12

Cheers to week one. It’s crazy how many people work from home these days. Oh they power of the internet. TH worked from home for a long time. There are days when he will work from home and I just can’t focus with him around. He’s like that co-worker who won’t stop talking when you need to get work done.

28. 2.16.12

I loved this piece! Great quote. I am so happy you’re having a blast with work. I have to tell you…your blog just gets better and better everyday. Keep it up! I hardly have time to read blogs anymore, but I always make time to stop by yours :)

29. 2.16.12
    Gabrielle | Savvy Home said:

Sounds like its going great so far! So happy for you! I’ve also discovered this week how uncomfortable my chair is… We must get a little chat routine happening again :) x

30. 2.16.12

I love this blog! So glad I found you. Going to follow! Have a greatweekend!
    xo
    Sharon

31. 2.16.12

I have the EXACT same feelings after making the jump from an office to a home office! The good outweighs the bad, but just wait until you start having long, in-depth convos with yourself. Then it’s time to get outside and treat yourself to a lunch break, because I can relate to sitting in a chair {or the couch :)} for hours on end. All in all, it only gets better from here! xo

32. 2.16.12

Thanks for sharing! I love your blog, just found it and I’m going to follow! Hope you stop by!
    xo
    Sharon

33. 2.16.12

Yeah girl! Sounds like you are making it work! How is the whole “getting up early and taking a shower” thing going? I have been known to stay in my pj’s till 2 pm every now and again. Not a good thing I tell you, not good.

34. 2.17.12
    Sarah said:

It sounds really great. I’m very jealous but hopefully I too will be joining the working from home team in the not too distant future! Can’t wait to hear more about it, thank you sharing it with us :) x

35. 2.17.12
    alyson said:

yayy! so thrilled for your first week. i work from home too so totally sympathize/relate to all of this. getting dressed is important, as is doing laundry in the middle of the day while also trying not to do too much housekeeping that you don’t do any work. I recently bought a white leather chair from overstock that so far so good. happy to send you the link if you’d like (don’t want this to look like spam if i include a link here!).

36. 2.17.12

Weeee… this made me excited for you! As with any new job, it’s just a matter of establishing that schedule. Start on the right path early on and you’ll be set. I’ve told you before, but truly excited for this new journey you’ve set out on. It’s going to be AWESOME!

37. 2.18.12

There are definitely pro’s and con’s. I need a new chair too! Mine is so uncomfortable and I think my ass is getting wider. NOT GOOD.