I’m lucky enough to have met today’s BTS girl in real life! Shannon and I both attended Alt last month, and trust me, the energy and passion she conveys below? Totally authentic. Yup, she’s equally as genuine and lovable in person. Shannon, who writes the blog I Love Your Crazy, was also one of my “test clients” for Vivaleur late last year, and has been a wonderful friend to have when I need to bounce ideas around, get friendly advice, or just listen. I adore her and I know you will too!
Viceroy; Adirondacks; Giraffe Manor
1. â¨The Viceroy Palm Springs â My inner glamour girl is dying to lounge poolside.
2. Adirondacks in the fall â¦ just look at those colors.
3. â¨Amalfi Coast â The colors and culture are so inviting.
4. Champagne, France (wine region) to celebrate life.
5. Iâve said this before, but itâs my number one pick! Giraffe Manor in Kenya. I would go tomorrow if I could.
1. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott â A book on writing.
2. Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr.(again) â This one really needs no introduction. This is the classic style guide for writers.
3. The Postmistress, by Sarah Blake â A book about a postmistress during WWII in Franklin, Massachusetts who believes she is delivering secrets.
4. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen â A story about a young girl living with her wealthy aunt and uncle.
1. Reading â¦ writing â¦ doing exactly what I want to be doing.
2. Still happily in love with my husband
3. Tackling the outside of our humble abode. Right now, the inside looks so pretty, but the outside could use some TLC.
I love goals! Right now, I am making some changes to my business. I started out wanting to write and help other businesses with their social media. Well, I am sure you can guess which end of that took off before the other. I heard a quote at Alt that rocked my world: âI would rather see you fail at something you love than succeed at something you donât.â I knew the minute I got home that I had to make the decision to start seriously decorating and writing for a living. So, I added interior design to my resume and signed my first client last week. As for writing, I started reading all of my books on writing and a few more. Every day I wake up and refocus. I have to make decisions that make those goals a priority. If it means saying no to something else â¦ I have to do it.
INTERIOR DESIGN. I have been emailing designers, reading books, and working my little tail off to learn everything I can about the business. Itâs my favorite thing to look at and dream of.
I get obsessed with things â a chair, a painting, a color, anything â and then I find out everything I possibly can about this one little thing. I have always done it, but I never noticed until my husband looked at me one day and said, âI love your crazy, Shannon.â Done. A blog was born!
Women entrepreneurs such as Rachel Shingleton (Pencil Shavings), Cassandra Lavalle (Coco + Kelley), Sara Kate Huff (Sara Kate Studios) and Tobi Fairley inspire me. I will always credit David Hicks with my love of interior design. He was the first designer I ever looked up to and I have adored tablescapes and geometric prints since. Slim Aarons gets credit for my love of color and prep style. Everything he shot is a burst of happiness.
This is tough because I am still starting out and learning. I am so proud of myself for taking on (surviving) a lot of huge life transitions in a small amount of time. I got married, moved across the country, bought a puppy, and started a business in three months.
I must be active. Yes, I know the question said, ârest,â but that just doesnât exist to me. I go to Baldhead Island to ride bikes, play croquet, and go to the beach with my husband. There are no cars, just golf carts. Itâs pure bliss.
Iâve kept a journal since I was 12. There is a box of them in our attic as proof. One day I just decided it was time to take it online â¦ if you go way back (I mean way back) in my archives you can see that it started as something therapeutic â a place for all my interests. I keep doing it because (list time!):
1. It keeps me organized, creative, and energized.
2. It showcases my interior design projects.
3. I have met so many new people in NC because of it â My very first friend was a Matchbook Magazine fan who found me.
4. I love all the other bloggers I meet. I have never felt so much encouragement and motivation.