Outside My Comfort Zone

blue pea coat and neon green top

tibi sweater

royal blue pea coat and skinnies

paige denim skinnies

bauble bar necklace

colorful winter outfit

Coat: J. Crew (old, similar options on sale here and here) / Sweater: Tibi (check here too) / Necklace: BaubleBar (gifted) / Denim: Paige (old) / Heels: ShoeMint (old)

There are two things about this that are totally out of my comfort zone. For one thing, I bought a neon chartreuse (is it yellow? is it green?) top on sale at Shopbop recently. I don’t think I’ve ever owned any neon clothing in my adult life, much less something that was in the yellow family! But I saw this baby online, really liked the texture, shape, and fun zipper details, and thought I’d give it a shot. I’m glad I did — it ended up pairing really well with a blue statement necklace from Bauble Bar, and this royal blue coat that’s been a staple in my wardrobe for years. Sometimes a single piece really allows you to bring old things to life, no? Trust me when I say this is waaaay more color than I rock on a day to day basis at home, but for a dreary winter day (that was oddly warm, compared to this week of polar vortex redux), the jolt of color brightened my spirits immeasurably.

Second thing — and I’m still slightly on the fence, but only because I think it’s such a departure for me. I dyed my hair! Okay, not all of it, but last week, Sassoon invited me to come into one of their salons to check it out, and when they offered up a color treatment, I decided to bite the bullet and get some ombré highlights. I used to highlight my hair religiously in college, but honestly, the upkeep (and the expense) just got to be too much for me. So I’ve had black, black hair for years. Scary as it was, I felt like it was time to shake things up a bit, and added in some subtle color at the ends. Yes, ombré was super trendy last year, but let’s be real: take my massive amounts of hair, add naturally wavy texture, and mix in laziness when it comes to maintaining these things, and ombré was the only way I could color my hair. As it grows out? No roots. Plus, I can just keep chopping it off at the ends. Perfect.

Have you done anything to shake up your routine lately?

In this post:

Photos by Yvonne Rock Photography. Salon services provided by Sassoon gratis.

1. Rachelle said: replied:

Love the new hair, the ombre gives it more dimension and this is a great color for you. Also the chartreuse and cobalt blue combo is perfection.

2. Kimberly said: replied:

Oh I love this combination – the mix of bright colors is so unexpected & fun!

3. Lauren said: replied:

Hair looks so great!

4. jillian said: replied:

your hair looks great! love this bold look. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

5. Christina Storm said: replied:

Love this look!
    The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  6. You look great! I love seeing bold, bright colors in winter (and on rainy days) among the sea of black coats in NYC. I have a shirt that a color and everytime someone sees me in they go “Whoa–that’s bright” quickly followed by; “Dude, I like it.”

7. Molly {Dreams in HD} said: replied:

your hair looks fantastic! and i love the tibi sweater with the royal blue jacket…what a brilliant color combination.

Molly {Dreams in HD}

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  8. I love that you took a chance with both of these. Both your highlights and the neon look great on you! Makes me want to shake things up now, too!

9. Alli {Enchantette} said: replied:

You might be outside your comfort zone, but you look great!

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  10. Love the new ombre hair color! And there is nothing more fun that wearing bright colors in the dead of winter. You are rocking that cobalt blue :)

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  11. Love the color combination + the hair! I had a hair change too recently… I cut it all off! It’s a long story…great for sharing over cocktails. lol. Looking forward to our date! Maybe I’ll branch out and try a new wine this time around. :)

12. Abby said: replied:

Love that Tibi top! My mom has it in the long sleeve dress version and we wear it all the time!

13. Gabrielle | Savvy Home said: replied:

Lookin good V! I love the outfit, and the hair!! NYC agrees with you :)

14. Kirby Brooks Todd said: replied:

Love, love, love the ombre hair! That yellow is one of my favorite colors but I actually don’t have much of it in my closet – maybe it’s time I change that!

Kirby

15. Becky said: replied:

That top is so fun! What a great color on you too.

16. Staci said: replied:

Loving the jacket!!

xx
    Staci

17. Bekah said: replied:

This color combo is delightful, and the ombre gives your hair great dimension. You look great outside that comfort zone! Thank you for the “See, it’s ok to step out a bit” inspiration!

18. Designs By Katy said: replied:

I love that top! You look beautiful

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  19. Loving the bright colors! Your hair looks fab, too!

20. MM said: replied:

Hey, Cutie!!! Miss you :)

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  21. I love the ombre look on you! I have black hair, too, and have never, ever done color. The most dramatic thing I did was get a Victoria Beckham-style graduated bob back in 2006 when that was all the rage. My hair is back to super long — it took forever to grow out — but I’m toying with the idea of neon pink tips. Crazy! But I’d love to do something out of the ordinary.

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  22. oooo! I love your new hair. I’m planning on getting an ombre coloring to my hair too sooner than later, and it’s made me feel so late to the party. But like you said, it’s the only type of coloring I feel like I can commit to right now. I hope you are having a great week and enjoying your new hair!! :)

23. Bethany said: replied:

You look great! That color top is also outside my comfort zone, but funnily enough I just got a cardigan in the same shade and am loving how it makes me feel to wear it.

24. hayley roderick said: replied:

Love the bright colors! You put them together so perfectly! xoxo

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  25. Love the highlights, love the neon blouse, love the change!

You can empathize with me the benefits of working from home – breaking for lunch and eating what’s in the fridge, staying in pajamas until absolutely necessary to change, etc. Life in Australia has forced me to shower and get ready in a timely manner and vacate my hotel room to ensure it’s cleaned. I’ve been working out of various coffeeshops around the city, opting for a new neighbhorhood most days so I can explore the area during my work breaks. It’s been incredibly inspiring AND productive, and something I’m going to aim to keep up at least weekly once I return back to NYC.

23 Jan 2014 | Reply
  26. […] Inspo via Walking in Memphis High Heels, Kendi Everyday, corals + cognacs, VMAC & cheese […]

24 Jan 2014 |
  27. Kellie The Shoe Diva said: replied:

I think you rocked this look. You may have been out of your comfort zone but you can’t tell from my seat :-) Love the blue jacket and the jolt of color really is perfect.

24 Jan 2014 | Reply
  28. Ailee said: replied:

I love everything about this post! Your hair, your outfit, AND the gorgeous garland above the doorway in the background. I have been considering doing ombre for AGES and have never bite the bullet. Maybe I will? I did the same thing in college as you, and I’m scared to damage my ever-dry hair! Love the look so much though. xo

27 Jan 2014 | Reply
  29. Brittany said: replied:

LOVE the look Victoria! I’m thinking about coloring my hair as well, same ombre color and I think you’ve convinced me!

30 Jan 2014 | Reply
  30. Fuck Work, Read This said: replied:

[…] images via ASOS, Victoria McGinley Blog, Redbook, Decoist, Yandex and Arrested […]

22 Aug 2014 |