Recipe: Easy and Fast Banana Bread

banana bread recipe

I am the world’s pickiest banana eater. If I’m going to eat a banana, it can’t have a single spot of brown on it, and oddly enough, I also like them when they’re still a little green, so they’re not overly sweet. If the peel doesn’t match these criteria, then no thank you!

Which is exactly why I ended up with two gross, over ripe, completely brown bananas last week. I’d bought a bunch to use in smoothies, and had frozen most of them, but Joe wanted a few to have around the house, too. Of course, we didn’t get to them in time, so there they were, wilting away and looking very sad and rotten. It had been years since I made a banana bread, so I decided I’d go for it and whip up a quick batch after lunch one day. If that sounds very nonchalant, it’s because it is — honestly, this banana bread is extremely easy to put together, and it’s very tough to mess up! I mean, I don’t even own a loaf pan (I baked mine in a shallow casserole dish) and it still worked great. And forget non-fat banana bread. With this version, I went for it and totally used BUTTER.

Here’s what I did:

easy and fast banana bread recipe

Easy and Fast Banana Bread

1/2 stick butter, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 very ripe bananas, peeled
1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar (use 1/2 cup if you don’t want it as sweet; 2/3 cup if you do!)
1 1/3 cup AP flour
two big pinches of sea or kosher salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a medium size bowl, combine the half stick of butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and the bananas. Using a fork, mash up the banana until it’s mostly mush — you can have little chunks of fruit, but you want it to be mostly mashed. Next, using a whisk, vigorously beat the wet ingredients together until the mixture has thickened and seems like it has increased in volume. This will help create a lighter, fluffier bread later on. The sugar should be completely dissolved, and the banana well dispersed throughout the mixture. Set aside.

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir together with a fork. Add the dry ingredients into the egg and sugar mixture, then using a spatula, gently fold together until the flour is just incorporated. Do not overmix — this will develop gluten and make the bread tougher.

Using the remaining tablespoon of butter, grease a baking dish or loaf pan. I used an oval casserole dish! Pour in the batter, then bake for 40 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven and how deep your baking vessel is. At around 40 minutes, just check the center of the bread with a toothpick or knife — if it comes out clean, it’s done; if not, keep baking until it does! Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.

1. Becca said: replied:

This looks absolutely delicious, and I can’t wait to try it. I am right there with you on bananas–so this would be a great solution!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  2. Tina Ramchandani said: replied:

I have the same banana criteria. Even a sliver of brown and I pawn it off on someone. This bread seems like a good idea :)

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  3. Tiffany @ Savor Home said: replied:

This looks great! I find myself making banana bread often now that bananas don’t last that long. I use a different recipe, but would love to try this one!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  4. Ailee said: replied:

Looks amazing. I need to bake something – anything at all – as I was given a KitchenAid mixer for our wedding, and it’s been staring at me every day on our kitchen counter. The next time you’re in Houston, you should try Sinfull Bakery’s vegan banana nut bread. It’s delicious. Lastly, I totally get the banana pickiness.

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  5. Kayla said: replied:

Ohhh butter! It just makes everything SO good!

Kayla

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  6. Ginet said: replied:

Yum! I’ve been craving banana bread!

Enjoy,
    Ginet

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  7. This looks divine! I have the same issues when it comes to bananas – green or spotless and then I’m fine but the minute they get brown and “interesting”, well then I’m not touching it – except for banana bread/muffins/etc. Love this recipe!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  8. Courtney said: replied:

I am so glad someone else is a picky banana eater like me! Your description met my requirements perfectly! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  9. Alexa said: replied:

Definitely a picky banana eater as well! Haha. That bread looks divine!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  10. Dana said: replied:

Yum! I will have to try this out!

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  11. Erin said: replied:

I feel the same way about bananas! I will not eat them unless they meet that exact criteria…and this is also the reason why I have about 10 bananas in my freezer right now.

21 Aug 2013 | Reply
  12. Joy | Frock Files said: replied:

I’m a picky banana eater too! In Hawaii we eat these tart, small bananas that we call apple-bananas. They taste a little green. So when my bananas get overripe out here, I usually mush them up and throw them in a dessert. I’ll definitely have to try this recipe the next time it happens (and it definitely will)!

22 Aug 2013 | Reply
  13. Maryn said: replied:

This may seem weird, but I’d love to try this and add a little shredded carrot and zucchini!

22 Aug 2013 | Reply
  14. wingiz said: replied:

I will have to try this out !

23 Aug 2013 | Reply
  15. passingthru said: replied:

just made it. very easy, and very very very good

23 Aug 2013 | Reply
  16. passingthru said: replied:

PS i used 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of one half

23 Aug 2013 | Reply
  17. […] sorprenderlos con algo rico pero fácil de preparar, entonces no te pierdas la receta de hoy. Un pan de banana rápido y fácil de hacer, y […]

23 Aug 2013 |
  18. Andrea said: replied:

Such simple ingredients. I bookmarked this for the next time we have company/I need a gift. Looks delicious.

25 Aug 2013 | Reply
  19. Natisha Reed said: replied:

Love Love Loved this banana bread!!!!!!!! I have used this recipe 3 times now!!! YUM!!

17 Oct 2013 | Reply
  20. Friday Favorites said: replied:

[…] A post on comparison. So right on. > This delicious looking banana bread recipe > 6 ways to handle overwhelm from Elembee (Lisa’s the best.) > Love these fall finds […]

8 Dec 2013 |
  21. Daniella said: replied:

I’ve used this recipe several times and it was pretty good. Today I added 1/4 cup oil (I subscribe to the school of Paula Deen, sorry) and it is so much better! Way more moist, less chewy.
    Delicious!!